PILGRIMAGE
A Spiritual and Cultural-Historical Journey
from Pirita to Vana-Vastseliina

Pilgrim’s route

The town of Maardu


Today’s Maardu is quite a pretty town. It has mainly the Soviet-era apartment blocks, and no industry ruins the town centre. On top of the highest hill stands a new Estonian Orthodox church of the Moscow Patriarchate.



Information about Maardu village dates from the first half of the 13th century; Maardu Manor was first mentioned in 1387. The name Maardu in fact comes from the name of a manor (Maarthe), although the manor was quite far from the territory of today's town. Interestingly, the Estonian Encyclopaedia published in 1935 does not say anything about Maardu except that it is a village in Harju County. Not a word about the manor! The settlement emerged in 1939, when Estonian Phosphorite began building a new factory on the land once belonging to Maardu Manor. In 1951, Maardu became a township, and in 1980 a town.
The town of Maardu is surrounded by an industrial landscape. Phosphorite flour was produced here until 1991. Building the Maardu harbour in 1982 was especially beneficial to the development of the town.



Today's Maardu has about 16000 inhabitants, 3 schools, 3 kindergartens and one 1 hobby school. And another thing deserves mentioning – Maardu is a remarkably clean town. How do they manage that?

Lagle Parek


http://vana.maardu.ee/index.php?page=65&